Friday, July 15, 2011

~~Happy Birthday, JULIE~~


Today is my writer bestie, Julie Lindsey 's birthday. She's 36 (she doesn't mind if I tell) and filled with fabulous.

Here's a little backhistory on why she's my favorite. It's almost been a year ago that I started my blog. I was hopeful, but supergreen. I wanted it to be great, to be a great writer. But...as everyone else is when first starting out, I was nothing more than a newbie.

Julie was the first to comment on my blog, sending me-you guessed it-straight to the moon. A commenter on MY blog!! She complimented me, gave me tips and awesome websites to check out and pretty soon, I was one of her regular stalkers. Still am. I check her blog more regularly than I check mine! She has the most helpful tips on what new writers should and shouldn't do, where to go for conferences, contests, article writing, you name it, she's done it! She has her hand in everything and is the leading lady of social networking. How she fits it all in, I will never know. But she does...and she's happy. And it shows.

Thirteen  years ago today, I lost my sister in a car accident. She was a writer, wrote every day of her life. She filled notebooks with novels and plays and poems. She was an angel here on earth and I never knew it until she just wasn't here one day. There are so many things I never got to share with my sister. We fought like tigers when we were young and I, being the headstrong jump-in-first-ask-questions-later type, ran off to another state and married the man of my dreams when I was 19. After years of a loveable hate relationship, my sister and I finally became close over the phone and through letters a state away. The day I called home to tell my family I was pregnant, she had stayed late at work and was the only one not on speaker phone to share our joy. The next morning she was involved in a car accident that took her life and I never got to talk to her about it. That's just ONE of the things I'd like to chat with her about. I now have two sons, a successful career, have embraced MY writer streak and am still married to that same awesome man. There are other countless things I'd like to name as blessings from God here, but the one I want to focus on today is Julie.

She is like a sister to me. Nope, never met her. Never even spoken to her on the phone. (Although I'm not sure why we don't chat in person. Probably too busy on laptops and email?) I'm not entirely convinced my sister from Heaven above, didn't hand pick Julie to shoo me back into writing. When my vampire-obsessed girlfriend couldn't convince me I had talent, along came Julie.

She walked me through the ins and outs of writing, critiqued my first work (ugh, major kudos to her for sticking with THAT!) and taught me how to clean and tighten my purple prosing, fluff of a writing style.
I was a newbie purple prosing, fluffer and she stuck with me! She even pointed me to the Rockin'Awesome crit group I belong to now. I honestly would be NOWHERE near where I am today in this crazy pub journey without Julie's wisdom, wit, and support. She's my other writing angel, the one my sister in Heaven hand-stamped APPROVED for me. She makes me laugh, fills me with inspiration and motivation in my lowest times and makes me strive to be more like her.

She's filled with fabulous and you'd be doing yourself a ginormous favor by reading everything she writes. I did.

So THANK YOU, Julie. For the late night emails, the pick-me-ups after each rejection, the prayers when my family and I needed them. You are simply the best. Stalkerish or not, I love you and wish you the very BEST

                                                   H a P p Y   b I r T h D a Y 
                                                                 e V e R !!!!!! :)

3 comments:

  1. Valerie! OMG! You are made of awesome and I am so so so stinking lucky to have you! Who says you can't find your best friends online? Wrong-O. I will eat double cake today...half for you :) *hugs* *MUwah!* xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is precious! Happy Birthday Julie, and Valerie...you are awesomeness.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everything you said about Julie - she is the nicest person on-line. I, too, have not met her in person, nor spoken to her on the phone, but I feel I know her really well.

    She has been so supportive of my writing career (or lack thereof - LOL). I just LOVE Julie!

    ReplyDelete